Why have three Michael Jackson songs been removed from streaming platforms? The ‘false …
July 7, 2022, 1:49 p.m.
‘Monster’, ‘Keep Your Head Up’ and ‘Breaking News’ have disappeared from Spotify. But why?
Songs often come and go from streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music without notice.
Whether it’s The Beatles taking the time to get there, Beyoncé holding back songs or Neil Young pulling her music off Spotify, you can never be sure that a song there today will be available tomorrow.
Three songs from Michael Jackson’s back catalog have now been removed from all streaming services.
Unlike many come and go, this is not about politics, exclusive platforms or copyright issues.
So which Michael Jackson songs have disappeared, and why?
The three tracks taken from all streaming services are ‘Monster ‘,’ Keep Your Head Up ‘and’ Breaking News’.
All three songs were originally included in the posthumous Michael album, a collection of previously unreleased Michael Jackson songs released on December 10, 2010.
The album’s ten songs spanned decades. ‘Behind The Mask’ was originally recorded below Thriller sessions in 1982, ‘Much Too Soon’ was recorded in 1994 during History sessions and so on.
But from when ‘Breaking News’ was first released as the album’s trailer on November 8, 2010, there was a lot of controversy.
Written by the song was credited Jackson with Eddie Cascio and James Porte, but it was sing which raised the eyebrows.
In addition to some disappointment with the overall quality of the song, quite a few people were not convinced that it was actually MJ who performed on the track.
Strikingly, it was not just the fans who had their reservations.
Michael’s mother Katherine and his children Prince and Paris were said to have doubts, as were other members of his family.
“I was listening to it,” MJ’s sister La Toya said TMZ. “It does not sound like him.”
The deceased singer’s 3T nephews were not convinced either, with Taryll having a long rant about it all.
“I’m shocked that things have come this far,” he said.
“This is ridiculous. I was in the studio when these dubious files were delivered. I heard these ‘so-called’ Michael Jackson songs raw and without distraction from the well-produced music of Teddy Riley.
“How they constructed these songs is very clever and clever. Many people who have worked on this project have either strong doubts and questions while others KNOW the truth, but still decided to turn around and look the other way with their hands out for $$$ . “
He added: “I will NEVER see the other way. Right is right, truth is truth, facts are facts and everything will come out !!!
“I tried so hard to prevent this madness, but they would not listen. I KNOW my uncle’s voice and something is seriously wrong when you have immediate FAMILY who says it is not him.
“Do not you have to wonder why? I have strong, indisputable points. They can not give me answers, but still continue to go on with lies and deception. To sound like Michael Jackson and TO BE Michael Jackson are two different things. “
When the album was released in its entirety, the same doubts were poured over the other Jackson / Cascio / Porte songs: ‘Monster’, which featured a rap from 50 Cent, and ‘Keep Your Head Up’.
All three songs, and nine other tracks that have not been released to date, and that have been leaked online, are known collectively as “The Casico Tracks”.
They were said to have been recorded with Jackson in Casico’s basement in 2007, although many claim that it is a session singer voice – not MJs – that is on the songs.
Rumors from critics and fans have persisted for years that the vocals were actually delivered by the American singer Jason Malachi, who is said to have taken the credit for them in a Facebook post from 2011. But his leader later denied this.
Listen to Jason’s voice below and compare it to the track ‘Monster’ above and see what you think:
There was even a lawsuit in 2014 from Jackson fan Vera Serova, who claimed that she had been sold the album incorrectly.
An appeals court ruled in favor of Sony and Jackson’s property, but it also said that because they were not there when the songs were recorded, “they could only draw a conclusion on this issue from their own research and available evidence”.
Despite the controversy, the album was released in 2010, and despite some very mediocre reviews, it went to number four in the UK and number 3 in the US, and eventually became Platinum in both countries.
But now, over a decade later, Sony Music has decided to draw a line under the whole controversy by deleting the trio of tracks from all streaming platforms.
Without directly addressing the “it’s not Michael” allegations, the company explained that it was looking to move forward by taking the songs down.
“The Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony Music decided to remove the tracks ‘Breaking News’, ‘Monster’ and ‘Keep Your Head Up’, from the 2010 album Michael as the easiest and best way to go beyond the conversation related to these tracks once and for all, “Sony Music and the Jackson Estate said in a statement yesterday (July 5).
“The focus remains where it belongs – on the exciting news and existing projects celebrating Michael Jackson’s legacy, including the Tony-winning Broadway musical MJthe hugely popular Michael Jackson-ONE show in Las Vegas, an upcoming biography, and the campaign to mark the 40th anniversary of Thrillerhistory’s best-selling album, in November.
“The remaining tracks on the album remain available. Nothing should be read into this action regarding the authenticity of the tracks – it’s just time to go beyond the distraction around them.”