A fan-favorite Spider-Man animated series is now streaming on Netflix
Netflix subscribers are in for a treat, as a fan favorite Spider man animated series are now available on the streaming service. The spectacular Spider-Man debuted in 2008 on The CW and ran for two seasons. While future seasons were planned, The spectacular Spider-Man stopped abruptly when Disney bought Marvel. The belief is that since the animated series was a production of Sony Pictures Television, Disney wanted its own Spider man show under his umbrella. This led to the creation of Ultimate Spider-Man on Disney XD. For those Spidey fans out there who may have missed out The spectacular Spider-Mannow it’s time to watch it live on Netflix.
“This animated series addresses the mythology of the famous webmasters at the beginning of his journey, as Peter Parker – a not-so-typical 16-year-old with new powers – struggles with the pressures of his teenage life while battling supervillains in the real world,” it says. a description of The Spectacular Spider-Man on Netflix.Seasons 1 and 2 can both be found, as a fan for 13 episodes individually.The series was developed by Greg Weisman (Gargoyler, Young justice) and Victor Cook (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated), and boasts an all-star cast including Josh Keaton as Peter Parker / Spider-Man, Lacey Chabert as Gwen Stacy, and more.
In 2012, in front Ultimate Spider-Man restart, Weisman explained that no “single company” canceled Spectacular Spider-Man. Instead, the fan-favorite show ended up in “a situation where no single company could continue with it.” Weisman talked about Spectacular Spider-Man under a question and answer from 2012:
- Sony had originally produced SpecSpidey as part of their general entertainment license for the Spidey property (which of course included the extremely lucrative live action movies).
- But to win some concessions on these live-action feature films, Sony returned the animation rights to the character back to Marvel.
- So now only Marvel could produce a Spider-Man cartoon. Sony could no longer, which meant that SpecSpidey could not continue with Sony.
- I have no idea if Marvel was interested in continuing with Spectacular Spider-Man or not. But for the sake of argument, let’s assume that they would.
- They could not.
- Why? Because Sony owned all the specific elements (design, history, etc.) of the SpecSpidey VERSION of Spider-Man. So Marvel would have had to license all that BACK from Sony.
- You can imagine how unlikely THAT scenario was. Marvel finally gets back the rights to make an animated version of their tent character, and then they have to pay Sony to do it instead of just starting from scratch. It was never going to happen.
- Of course, all this was complicated by the fact that Disney bought Marvel, and Disney and Sony are direct competitors.
- And I’m sure Marvel was happy to make its own mark on an animated Spider-Man. Who could blame them?
- So that was it. We were toast without our own fault. The people at Marvel, Sony and even Disney seemed to like our show, but the corporate mess made it impossible for us to continue.
Do you want to give The spectacular Spider-Man a trip to Netflix? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!