Zootopia+, a new anthology series based on Walt Disney Animation Studios’ 2016 film, has finally received its first trailer — just two days before the series premieres on Disney+. The short series takes viewers back to the fast-paced mammal metropolis and delves deeper into the lives of some of its most intriguing residents. Or rather, some of the beloved characters from the movie that just didn’t get enough screen time.
Along with the trailer, Disney has released the titles and descriptions for each of the six episodes in Zootopia+. With titles like “The Real Rodents of Little Rodentia,” “So You Think You Can Prance,” and “Godfather of the Bride,” it’s clear that no pop culture topic is off limits Zootopia+.
Zootopia+ is directed by Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy. Ginnifer Goodwin and Idris Elba reprise their roles as Judy Hopps and Bogo; However, Jason Bateman and his character Nick Wilde do not appear to be in the series.
Zootopia was an action comedy film with an overarching cop buddy story that followed the unlikely partnership between a rabbit police officer and a red fox con artist as they uncover a criminal conspiracy involving the disappearance of predators. While there was no shortage of comedic moments, the film was also surprisingly deep. It touched on many societal issues and offered deep themes involving the dangers of stereotyping and prejudice.
The trailer for Zootopia+ seems to suggest that the series will focus on more cheerful stories, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some important lessons intertwined. Check out the trailer and accompanying episode descriptions below.
1. “Hop on board”– When Judy boards the train from the Bunny Burrow to Zootopia to begin life as the big city’s first bunny cop, Stu and Bonnie’s youngest daughter, Molly, hitches a ride on top of the train, forcing the down-to-earth duo out of their comfort zone. zone and into an action-packed rescue mission.
2. “The Real Rodents of Little Rodentia”– Newly engaged, Fru Fru begins the wedding planning with enthusiasm and flourish – at least until her scene-stealing cousin Tru Tru arrives to take on the role of Shrew of Honor. A battle for the limelight ensues until a close encounter with a giant donut reveals that for better or for worse, no one knows you better than your family.
3. “Duke the Musical”– After being busted and arrested in a giant donut – compliments of Officer Judy Hopps – clever criminal weasel Duke re-evaluates his life and ponders where he went wrong – in song. In a musical aptly set in his own mind, Duke ponders how to go from small-time villain to Big Time!
4. “Godfather of the Bride” – A moving tale of the mighty Arctic shrew known as Mr. Big visiting Mrs. Mrs.’s big day when he delivers a revelatory father-of-the-bride speech. Taking guests back in time to his days as Mr. Small, a new immigrant to Zootopia, he imparts the wisdom he gained then about the importance of friends, family and community.
5. “So you think you can prance”– ZPD dispatcher Clawhauser persuades his boss, Chief Bogo, to audition for So you think you can cram. The stakes are high as the ultimate prize is an opportunity to dance on stage with megastar pop sensation Gazelle.
6. “Dinner rush”– As super server Sam quickly tries to finish his restaurant shift to create a once-in-a-lifetime gazelle concert, Flash and Priscilla show up at the last minute with hopes of a once-in-a-lifetime dinner.
Zootopia+ premieres November 9, exclusively on Disney+. Which of the episodes are you most looking forward to?