DANCE with the Stars executives have made a final decision about the show’s future on Disney+, The US Sun can exclusively reveal.
The popular show, now in its 31st season, moved from ABC to the streaming platform this year.
Many fans have been unhappy with the change as they now have to pay a subscription fee of $7.99 every month to watch the show.
But according to an insider, DWTS is not returning to ABC.
“Disney Plus will be our home next year is what we’ve been told,” the source exclusively shared with The US Sun.
“The move from ABC is ongoing as far as management sees it, meaning they want to give viewers time to migrate over from their old home on terrestrial TV.”
However, the show’s ardent fans aren’t the only ones who have been unhappy with the change.
The source claims that DWTS’ professional dancers also “enjoyed being on prime-time ABC.”
Although ratings have not yet been released for season 31, they have reportedly dropped following the move to Disney+.
The insider added: “Also behind the scenes there have been conversations and concerns expressed about ratings.
“No official ratings are released at all, and we’re talking about doing half or even less than the numbers we did on ABC last year.”
Before the switch, last November’s finale on ABC drew 5.4 million viewers.
Amid rumors of declining ratings, there has been talk of the series being scrapped altogether after 2023.
“It makes some dancers nervous about the future,” the source said.
“When a move back to ABC is not considered, people worry that the alternative is the show being pulled.”
But executives are reportedly stuck with the decision on the new platform.
“They call it a journey, which they have said will take time and patience.”
Both Disney+ and ABC are owned by The Walt Disney Company.
The transition to streaming has also led to a major change in the format of the show, which is now broadcast live for two hours straight without commercial breaks.
This has put extra pressure on host Tyra Banks and her new co-host Alfonso Ribeiro.
Derek Hough, who is one of the four judges on DWTS, shared his thoughts on the transition to Disney+ ahead of season 31.
He acknowledged that fans were upset by the change as he explained, “That’s what happens when you try something new, when you go into a different territory.”
“Our hope is that we have a large fan base and loyal fan base and they follow us on this new adventure.”
He added: “To be honest, when people are vocal or upset or something, what I’ve found is that it just means they care and they love the show.”
DWTS airs at 8pm EST on Disney+ every Monday.