A new update for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 went live last night, potentially ushering in some big changes to the successful FPS from Activision.
MW2 is off to a roaring start as the fastest-selling Duty calls game in the story, but it has its share of problems. It’s now a week after launch and players are getting frustrated with bugs, progression issues, crashing issues and a slow and confusing user interface.
For some reason the update is 50GB on Xbox consoles, and much more manageable on PS5 and PC at less than one GB. Xbox players and gamers in general are probably looking for an explanation as to why the download is so distinctly different.
Additionally, the potential for changes to things like weapons and attachments, an explanation of maps missing from the game, and a tease of future content are all things that Cod players have been looking forward to.
Here’s what you need to know about MW2 update that went live last night.
Modern Warfare 2 update 1.08 patch notes
When players were met with the update in the late night hours of November 3rd and early morning of November 4th, they were left wondering what has been changed in the game that really needed some major fixes since its launch a week ago.
At the time of writing, Infinity Ward has yet to release the patch notes for the 1.08 update. The developer has promised a blog post detailing exactly what’s happened in the update, so it should hit the web sometime during the day on November 4th.
Many gamers are probably hoping that will explain why the download was so much bigger on Xbox as well. Players with download limits everywhere will find it difficult to play the game if the downloads are consistently this large.
Stay tuned and come back here for more information once the patch notes are revealed.
Update November 4 at 2:20 p.m. CT: The full patch notes have been released and can be found below.
- We’ve addressed a number of crashes affecting players on all platforms, including the bug that caused some players participating in the game to crash during matchmaking. Last night’s update should provide extra stability when it comes to crashes. We will continue to monitor current issue reports and provide solutions as soon as we can.
- We’ve made general gameplay improvements, including:
- Fix for various cameras not unlocking during progression.
- Fixed frame rate drop issues.
- Fixed known freezing issues.
- General performance improvements.
- Added fixes for stuttering and lag issues.
- A recent NVIDIA hotfix addressed some critical issues. Make sure you are running the game on drivers 526.61.
- The PC benchmark map has been updated with a more accurate reading of the FPS screen.
- Be sure to follow our friends on Beenox for further updates for MW2 on PC.
- We are actively collecting data on weapon performance/usage and will provide detailed updates on weapon balancing with the launch of Season 01.
- Last week we disabled the attachment tuning feature due to an issue affecting players with 4 or more tuned attachments equipped at the same time. We re-enabled attachment tuning in yesterday’s update so that players should not encounter additional issues equipping attachments on a weapon.
- Enemy or live ping will remain disabled in multiplayer until a fix is implemented with the launch of Season 01. This is due to a bug where ping remained on some players after death. KBM players are currently still able to fare-ping.
- The player icon on the minimap will no longer disappear after a player is revived in certain modes.
- We’ve added the Breenbergh Hotel to the Third Person Moshpit
- There are no significant map changes, but we have patched various exploits and geometry errors in the days since launch. We will continue to address small fixes through daily updates.
- We’re continuing to refine our UI and will have more details in the Season 01 release notes.
In addition to changes we’ve already made, we’re also actively tracking live issues. Some of the currently known issues include:
- We are aware of the following issues and fixes are in the works
- Riot shield provides invincibility against helicopter gunners and VTOLs
- DDOS Field upgrade availability error
- A bug affecting helicopter altitude, allowing them to leave the map in some cases