iOS 16 Beta: Read this before downloading
This story is part ofCNET’s complete coverage from and about Apple’s annual developer conference.
Applessoftware is currently in the developer beta phase after being unveiled at in June. The iPhone maker’s latest mobile operating system is only available to members of the Apple Developer Program, but you can download it right now if you like.
Among the new iOS 16 features announced so far is onefor iPhone, the ability to and . And although the upgrade is not scheduled for general release until September, we’ll guide you through how to get iOS 16 right now – even before it enters the public beta phase.
Although it is easy to download and install iOS 16, please note that this pre-release, especially because, like all developer beta versions, iOS 16 may currently have unfinished features. These early beta releases are intended for developers, to help them keep their apps up to date, while providing early access to the latest features.
This is all to clarify iton your main device if you really want to check out this version of iOS 16, but maybe instead an extra iPhone that is new enough to work with iOS 16 ( ). If you want to take these steps, we’ll also show you what to do in case you need to revert to a stable version of iOS 15.
To learn more about iOS 16, check it out, and .
What you should know before downloading iOS 16
Because iOS 16 is an early preview version, the software will be full of bugs and other issues.
Again, If you are considering downloading iOS 16, do so on a backup or secondary phone, if available. Problems with the iOS 16 beta preview can ruin your phone and make it difficult to use, disable phone calls or text messages, or make it extremely slow. But if you only have the headset or tablet available, make sure to back up your device on iOS 15 before updating to iOS 16. That way, you have the option to go back to iOS 15 if there are too many issues with the new operating system.
Also, you need to have one iPhone 8 or later to run iOS 16. The next mobile software update will not be used on iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
Sign up for the Apple Developer Program
The first step to getting iOS 16 on your iPhone or iPad is to sign up for the Apple Developer Program if you are not already a member. If you use an iPhone or iPad, you can register as follows:
1. Download the Apple Developer app from the App Store.
2. Launch the app, go to Accounting and press Sign up now.
3. Sign in with your Apple ID.
4. Read through the various benefits and instructions, enter your personal information and scan your ID to confirm your identity.
5. Once this information is submitted, you must select your device (individual for most) and accept the software license agreement.
6. Finally, you pay the Apple Developer Membership Fee (with Apple Pay), which is $ 99 (approximately £ 80 or AU $ 140) per year.
After making the payment, you will be redirected to your account page in the Apple Developer app. Here you can confirm that you are now registered, and you can also check out the date of the membership’s expiration next year.
Download iOS 16 with a wireless update on your iPhone or iPad
The easiest way to download iOS 16 is via wireless update, as you would with any other new software version on your device. This is how:
1. On iPhone or iPad, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, tap Install profile for iOS 16 beta (iPhone) or iPadOS 16 beta (iPad) and press Allow.
2. Then open the Settings app, press Profile downloaded and hits Install top right when displayed. Enter your password if prompted, and then press Install twice more. Your phone needs to be restarted.
3. When the phone restarts, plug it in, make sure you are on Wi-Fi and go to Settings > General > Software update. If you do not immediately see an update available, wait a few minutes and check again.
4. Finally, hit Download and install > Install and enter your password to update the device.
After the phone finishes restarting, you should have access to the latest iOS 16 developer beta.
Download iOS 16 with Mac
Over-the-air updates require a certain amount of storage space, and if you do not have it available, using your computer is really the only way to update to iOS 16 without emptying space manually.
1. On your Mac, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, find iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta and click Download recovery images.
2. Download the iOS beta software recovery image for your specific device.
3. Then connect the device to the computer and enter the device password or press Trust this computer if you are asked.
4. Open the Finder and click on your device in the sidebar below Places.
5. In general, next to Software, you will see the latest software your device is running.
6. Hold down Option key, click Look for Update and select the iOS 16 beta software recovery image you just downloaded from the Apple Developer page.
iOS 16 beta software is installed on your device. Wait a few minutes, and when the phone restarts, you should have access to iOS 16.