One of the essential features when buying any vehicle must be support for wired or wireless Android Auto. Why you may ask? Well, you can use Android Auto to navigate through your journeys and also be able to use a number of Android Auto supported apps like Google Maps, Spotify and a large number of other apps and services. Android Auto is getting a major overhaul codenamed Coolwalk.
The new version of Android Auto aka Android Auto Coolwalk was first teased at the Google I/O event in 2021. But since then, Android Auto lovers have been waiting for this major revamp. The wait is finally over, Google has started rolling out the new Coolwalk update to Android Auto for the beta testers.
Android Auto Coolwalk is basically a new interface that helps you easily navigate and see the necessary information on the vehicle’s head unit without having to fiddle with a lot of menus. The update contains a number of new features and improvements. Now that the new version of Android Auto has been released for testers, let’s take a look at the features available in Android Auto Coolwalk, the release date, as well as the method to turn it on.
What’s new in Android Auto Coolwalk?
The new Android Auto Coolwalk UI first came out with a v8.5.6245 update for the Android Auto app, and it’s now even better with the release of the latest incremental update v8.6. Now, with this new version, there are many new changes in the user interface. These were much needed changes that can help improve the usability of the head unit while driving. Let’s take a look at what’s new with Android Auto 8.6.
- Android Auto Coolwalk now supports cars that have revolving entrances.
- Improved dashboard with split screen for all vehicles.
- Material UI elements throughout the Android Auto app.
- See the number of notifications at the bottom of the screen.
- Modernized media playback.
- Easily switch between newer apps with a single tap.
- Dynamically resize open apps on the main device.
- Get easy access to Google Assistant with a single swipe.
- New App Dock to switch between apps.
Android Auto Coolwalk Release Date
Considering that Google has not released any official changelog for the Andriod Auto 8.6 update since it is only available to users in the beta program. However, we can expect even more features and a global release for many head units and car brands out there sometime in early 2023. Until then, you can enjoy Coolwalk UI via the beta program.
Since the new version of Android Auto is now available, many users are interested to know how to get this new version as well as what is new in Android Auto.
Let’s get started.
How to get Android Auto Coolwalk
Now, even if you have the latest version of Android Auto installed on your Android device, you might not see the update right away. Because this update is first rolled out as a server-side update, some users have automatically received the new Android Auto Coolwalk. However, there are three ways you can follow to get Android Auto Coolwak on your device right away.
Enroll in the Android Auto Beta Program – Method 1
An alternative way for you to get the latest version of Android Auto Coolwalk is by joining the beta program via the Google Play Store. Here is the procedure.
- Launch Google Play Store on your Android and make sure you are connected to the internet.
- Now search for the Android Auto app in the Play Store.
- When you see the app from the results, select it.
- With the Android Auto app page open, scroll down.
- You should see an option that says Join Beta.
- If the beta program is not full, you will be able to join the program easily, otherwise you will have to wait.
- Once you’ve joined the program, you’ll see the new Android Auto update appear on your Android device. Just update the app and use the new Coolwalk UI for your car navigation device.
If you want to join the beta version of apps like Google Maps, Waze, the Google app and the Google Messages app for Android Auto, you can navigate to this page and sign up for the beta program.
Install Android Auto Coolwalk 8.6 APK (Sideload) – Method 2
Sideloading an Android APK file is simple and easy. It’s actually safe provided you’ve downloaded the APK file from verified sources and places where you know files won’t be tampered with. A safe place to download and sideload APK files on your Android device is the APKMirror repository. Follow these steps to sideload the latest Android Auto APK file available.
- Launch your favorite browser on your Android device and visit her APKMirror website.
- Alternatively, you can click this link to get to the Android Auto download page.
- Once you’ve opened the Android Auto download page, click on the latest available version of the app.
- Finally, click on the variant you want to download.
- The file should start downloading soon.
- Once downloaded, navigate to the downloads folder and install it.
- If it is not enabled, you need to enable Installation from unknown sources.
- You now have the latest version of Android Auto installed.
Clear Android Auto Cache – Method 3
The second method to try to get the Android Auto server side update on your device is by clearing the app’s cache. Here is the procedure.
- Open the Settings app on your Android device.
- Now, navigate and select the option that says Apps.
- You must select installed apps. (This will vary from different Android OEMs and Android SO versions).
- Now scroll through the list of apps installed on your device and tap on the Android Auto app.
- After selecting the app, you should have options like Clear Cache, Clear Data and Uninstall App.
- Tap Clear cache and close the Settings app.
- Now launch the Android Auto app and make sure you are connected to the internet.
- Once connected, you should see the new Android Auto Coolwalk interface on your car’s head unit once you have connected your device to the head unit.
This wraps up everything you need to know about the new Android Auto Coolwalk UI update. Now that the in-car head unit is getting so much better with the new Android Audot Coolwalk UI, you can expect smooth operation and quick responses while using the app.
Have you got the new Coolkwalk UI? If so, feel free to share the details and your experience with everyone in the comments section below.