GTA Online is getting a massive update today, December 13, 2022, with the last DLC of the year. Titled “Los Santos: Drug Wars,” the Winter DLC is expected to be a multi-part update with tons of new features, significant gameplay improvements, increased payouts, and several new vehicles.
Most GTA Online players should already know how to download the game and access the latest updates. Since the game has seen a significant increase in players recently, new players may be curious to try the game.
To learn how to download the Winter DLC update for Grand Theft Auto Online, new players can refer to this article. It will include a guide for players on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One or Xbox Series X/S.
Instructions for downloading GTA Online Los Santos: Drug Wars update on all devices
Buy the game
GTA Online is available as a standalone title exclusively for players on next-generation consoles, as well as the full game, which includes the story mode, Grand Theft Auto 5, on other platforms. This section is only for players who don’t have the game yet but need a guide to purchase it on their respective platforms.
Players who already own the game and just want to know the process of downloading and updating it for the new DLC can skip to the next section.
Check out the steps below to find out where you can buy Grand Theft Auto 5 as well as GTA Online on all platforms:
- PC gamers: You can purchase the game from Steam, the Epic Games Store, or the official Rockstar Games Store. You can also download the Rockstar Games launcher, login and buy from the launcher. It will be used to launch the game after installation.
- PlayStation users: You can purchase it from the PlayStation store. PS5 users must visit the PlayStation Store from their PS5 consoles.
- Xbox users: You can buy it from the Microsoft Store on your console.
PS5 and Xbox Series X/S players can either purchase GTA 5, which includes GTA Online multiplayer, or just the standalone release of GTA Online, which does not include Story Mode.
How to update the game
The following instructions allow users to update GTA Online on all supported devices (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S):
Rockstar Games Launcher
- Launch the Rockstar Games Launcher application on your PC.
- Navigate to “Settings” > “My Installed Games” and select “Grand Theft Auto V.”
- Next, click the “Verify Game File Integrity” button.
- Finally, you need to select the “Verify Integrity” option. It will then start updating itself.
- Launch the Steam app and go to the library.
- Right-click on “Grand Theft Auto 5” from the list of installed games and select “Properties”.
- In the Properties box, select Local Files.
- Select the option “Verify integrity of game files.”
- The game will be updated via Steam.
Epic Games Launcher
- Launch the Epic Games Launcher application.
- Select the “Settings” option from the “Navigation” menu.
- Scroll down to the “Manage Games” section.
- Find the “Allow automatic updates” checkbox and click it to keep it enabled.
- Navigate to “Library” and select “Update”. The update will start after this.
PS4 and PS5
Players playing the game on PlayStation:
- In the library, hold the mouse pointer over “Grand Theft Auto V”.
- Press the “Options” button on your controller and select “Check for Update” from the side menu.
- If an update appears to be available, select “Go to [Downloads].”
- The game will update once the steps are completed and if the update has arrived.
Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S
- Select “My games and applications.”
- Scroll down and select “Games” from the “Games & Apps” pane.
- Select “Manage Games” from the context menu after selecting “Grand Theft Auto V.”
- Scroll down to find “Updates”. You can install any updates here once they have arrived.
Grand Theft Auto 5 and GTA Online usually update automatically when a content update lands in the region the players are playing from. Players can use the above guide if no update has come for a significant amount of time.