The Witcher 3 next-gen edition is now available for PS5, and Sony fans should know how to download the free upgrade and patch so they can experience all the improvements.
CD Projekt RED’s game was already a magnum opus, but the ‘Complete Edition’ makes everything that much better. It currently holds a 97 on Metacritic, and the update adds everything from improved graphics and fresh animations to new armor and side missions inspired by the Netflix series.
The original release was already a masterpiece, but all of us can now enjoy an enhanced experience that is much better.
How to Download The Witcher 3 Next Generation Upgrade for PS5
Just follow the steps below to download The Witcher 3 Next Generation Upgrade and Update on PS5:
- Start your PS5
- Proceed to the PSN Store
- Search for Witcher 3
- Select the game
- Click on the three dots and select View product
- Click the three dots again and select Witcher 3 Complete edition
- Tap Download and confirm that you want to install the PS5 version
It’s completely free if you already own a PS4 copy of the experience. If you don’t own a PS4 copy, you can buy the Complete Edition for £20.99 before it goes back to £34.99 on 4 January 2023.
Update patch notes
Below are The Witcher 3 next-gen patch and upgrade notes for PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC:
PC AND NEXT-GEN EXCLUSIVE
- Added raytrace global lighting and ambient occlusion.
- Additionally, PC players with compatible hardware have an additional option to turn on ray-traced reflections and shadows.
- Added various mods and mod-inspired content to the game to improve visuals and overall game quality. We’ve included some community favorites in addition to our own modifications in areas such as environment and stage improvements, realistic pavements, and many decoration upgrades.
- Community-created and community-inspired mods include:
- The Witcher 3 HD reworked project by HalkHogan
- HD Monsters reworked by Denroth
- Immersive real-time clip by teiji25
- Nitpicker’s Patch by chuckcash
- World map corrections of Terg500
- Upscaled texture to 4K for various characters including Geralt, Yennefer, Triss, Ciri, Eredin and more.
- All main characters, including Geralt, now cast high-resolution self-shadows even outside cutscenes. Additionally, hair clipping through armor as well as some other armor clipping issues have been fixed.
- Environmental improvements:
- Added a new weather type – “Gray Sky”
- Updated sky textures
- Vegetation and water improvements
- Various mesh improvements
- Improved some select VFX
- Updated global environmental lighting
- Added AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution (FSR) 2.1
- Added photo mode, allowing players to take amazing photos in The Witcher 3 world.
- Added the ability to pause the game during cutscenes.
- Added an alternate camera option that is closer to the player’s character and reacts more dynamically to combat and movement. You can find this new setting in Options → Gameplay under Exploration, Combat and Horse Camera Distance.
- Added “ULTRA+” graphics settings on PC, which significantly increases the visual credibility of the game. The graphics settings available on ULTRA+ affect:
- Number of background characters
- Shadow quality
- Grass density
- Texture quality
- Visibility area for foliage
- Terrain quality
- Water quality
- Level of detail
- Added DLSS 3 support. Only available on compatible hardware.
NEXT-GEN CONSOLE SPECIFIC
- Improved the overall quality of graphics on next-gen consoles. Including improved textures, improved fidelity, shadow quality, larger draw distances and crowd density.
- Ray Tracing Mode – raytraces global ambient lighting and occlusion with dynamic resolution scaling targeting 30 FPS for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
- Performance Mode – ensures smoother gameplay targeting 60 FPS with dynamic resolution scaling for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
- The Xbox Series S version has no ray-tracing capabilities. Quality mode provides increased resolution and better image quality aimed at 30 FPS, while Performance Mode aims at 60 FPS and prioritizes smoother gameplay over visual quality.
- Implemented the use of adaptive triggers and haptic feedback on PS5 DualSense controllers.
- Added activity cards for PS5.
- Added a cross-progression feature between platforms. Your latest saves are automatically uploaded to the cloud, so you can easily pick up where you left off on other platforms. Cross-progression provides the last save for each save type. This feature becomes available after you log into your account.
- By registering for MY REWARDS in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, players can receive:
- Swords of the Nine-tailed Vixen
- White Tiger of the West Armor
- Dol Blathanna Armor Set
- Mort card
- Detailed information on how to redeem the rewards will be available from 14 December at 01:00 CET at thewitcher.com/my-rewards.
QUALITY OF LIFE CHANGES
- Add the mod Full Combat Rebalance 3 by Flash_in_the_flesh which includes balance changes and various fixes to gameplay. We took a curated approach to this mod, with some elements further tweaked from what you find in the mod by default, while other elements were left out.
- Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear – Fixed an issue where the chest at the signal tower could not be opened.
- From Ofier’s Distant Shores – Fixed an issue where the diagram in the chest at the bandit hideout could be missing.
- Hard times – Fixed an issue where Geralt could not speak or give the letter to the blacksmith.
- Swift as the west winds – Fixed an issue where the mission could sometimes fail despite winning the horse race.
- Echoes from the past – Fixed an issue where the quest could get stuck after defeating the Foglets and it wouldn’t be possible to talk to Yennefer.
- Wine warrior – Fixed an issue where the quest could not be completed if the player destroyed one of the required monster nests during exploration.
- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to clear the ruined inn located on the southern shore of Ard Skellig in certain scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where the Grandmaster Wolven Set would not require Mastercrafted items.
- Various small fixes to missions and cutscenes.
In other news, For Honor Year 6 Season 4 Release Date, Maintenance Time and Roadmap