If you own a Surface device, you already know that Microsoft releases firmware updates from time to time. The goal behind these releases is to ensure that your Surface device performs at optimal levels throughout. The company uses driver and firmware updates to fix bugs that may have negatively affected device performance.
This is why it is important to make sure you have these updates installed regardless of whether it is an optional update or not. However, it’s worth noting that once you’ve updated your device to the latest firmware update, you won’t be able to go back to the previous one.
How to download firmware updates for your Surface device
Before you proceed with downloading and installing a firmware update for your Surface device, there are a few things to check to make sure the process is seamless.
First, attach your Surface Type Cover or Surface Dock to ensure these devices receive the latest updates. Next, make sure you have a stable internet connection that will allow you to download the update quickly. And finally, make sure your device is at least 40 percent charged before installing updates. Alternatively, you can plug it into an outlet and continue.
After performing these preliminary checks, you can now proceed to download and install the latest firmware update on your Surface device:
- click on Start icon on the Windows 11 taskbar.
- Then click on Settings app to launch it.
- click on Windows update in the sidebar.
- Windows will start downloading available updates.
- click on Update nowand click on Install button when the download is complete.
- Finally, restart your Surface device.
You can also watch the video below by Microsoft that describes the process of how to update and install drivers and firmware for Surface devices.
Note: At first, you may not be able to check for a firmware update that has just been released. This is mainly because Microsoft usually rolls out in phases. Once it’s ready for you, you’ll be able to access it under Windows Update.
How to manually download firmware updates from Microsoft
Using Windows Update to download firmware updates for your Surface device is the easiest way, alternatively you can download and install the update manually directly from Microsoft:
- Go to the Surface update history page.
- Search for the device you want to update and select it.
- You will then be redirected to another website where you will be able to see the driver updates for the specific device you selected.
- click on download button.
- Only when .msi file has been downloaded, click on Open file and continue with the setup process by following the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
How to download updates for Microsoft Surface Duo
As you may already be aware, Microsoft’s Surface Duo entry comes with Android out of the box. However, it is possible to run Windows 11 on the device even if you run the risk of bricking it.
In October, Microsoft began rolling out the Android 12L update to Surface Duo devices that feature plenty of Windows 11 aesthetics. Here’s how to check for and download these updates:
- Press Settings icon on the home screen.
- Navigate to System > System Update > Check for Update.
- Surface Duo will start checking for available updates and proceed to download it when it appears.
- Press Reboot when finished to start the installation process.
Access new features and improve device security
A firmware update is quite significant and plays a crucial role in your device, therefore you should ensure that your device is running on the latest. This is because it not only gives you access to new features and improves your device’s user experience, but also fixes bugs and errors that affect your device. Moreover, it provides users with an extra layer of security because it fixes new security vulnerabilities.