Crunchyroll shares new series and first look at Anime Expo 2022
Over the long weekend, Crunchyroll shared a staggering amount of exclusive announcements with attendees at the Anime Expo in Los Angeles.
The latest updates to the anime platform included news about My Hero Academia and Dragon Ball franchising, acquisition of Solo leveling and Overlord IVand first look at Trigun Stampedeseason 2 av Mushoku Tensei: Unemployed reincarnationseason 2 av For your eternityand more.
Here is the full list of announcements made during the Crunchyroll Industry Panel on Sunday:
Solo leveling – The beloved Korean manhwa Solo leveling, written by Chugong and illustrated by DUBU (REDICE Studio), will be adapted into an anime series by A-1 Pictures and simulcast on Crunchyroll around the world outside Asia. The first key visual and English teaser trailer was revealed in great excitement. The production staff was also announced, which included:
- Original work: Solo leveling by DUBU (REDICE Studio), Chugong, h-goon
- Director: Shunsuke Nakashige
- Main author: Noboru Kimura
- Grade designer: Tomoko Sudo
- Music: Hiroyuki Sawano
- Animation studio: A-1 pictures
- Synopsis: It has been over a decade since the “gates” suddenly appeared – the paths that connect our world with another dimension. Since then, some people have woken up to supernatural powers. We call these individuals “hunters.” Hunters survive by using their powers to conquer dungeons within the gates. In this world of tough customers, the low-ranking hunter Jinwoo Sung is known as “the weakest hunter of all mankind.” One day, Jinwoo is fatally injured when he encounters high-ranking double dungeons hidden in a low-ranking dungeon. Just then a mysterious mission window appears in front of him. On the verge of death, Jinwoo decides to accept the mission and begins to level up … while the others are not.
Quotes from Solo leveling author and illustrator:
- ‘About six years ago when I wrote at the beginning of Solo leveling, if someone had said to me, ‘The novel you wrote is going to be a cartoon,’ I bet I had asked them to stop pulling my leg. But now I have been told that it will be animated ?! Seriously, stop pulling my leg! … But these days I feel excited and excited. Since I still have half a doubt that this is real, I want to see Jinwoo and the other characters be animated soon and feel relieved. I will continue to work hard as I look forward to that day. ” – Chugong, author
- “Solo leveling finally gets his anime debut. It feels like just yesterday that we were offered the anime adaptation. I feel so overwhelmed when I think the anime is really being created right now. All this is thanks to you fans who love and support Solo leveling. I am filled with gratitude. Thank you very much. Also support the animation production team. If this anime gives new joy to the readers, I will be very happy. ” – DUBU, illustrator
Princess Connect! Re: Dive
Crunchyroll Games presents the summer campaign for Princess Connect! Re: Dive along with year two of the swimsuit character events currently underway! A time-limited Makoto character (summer) was released on July 4th.
New key art was unveiled to confirm that Crunchyroll began streaming the fourth season of the popular anime series on July 5 for the anime season in the summer of 2022.
- Synopsis: Newly crowned Ains have big plans for Sorcerer Kingdom, but so do his enemies. Deep in the mountains of Azerlisia lies the mortal enemy of the dwarves, a semi-human race, the Quagoa, gathered ready to invade. To make matters worse, other kingdoms conspire to overthrow the undead king! Will his vision of a utopia come true? The crown is heavy, even for the guy with unlimited power.
Hello Kitty x Fruits Basket Collab
BoxLunch announced the launch of this super cute collaboration, with the first piece available for purchase at Anime Expo. The entire collection of Fruits Basket x Hello Kitty and Friends, which brings together Sanrio’s beloved characters with Tohru Honda and the shapely Soma clan, will be launched at BoxLunch and Hot Topic in August.
Mushoku Tensei: Unemployed reincarnation (Season 2)
The second season of Mushoku Tensei: Unemployed reincarnation has been acquired by Crunchyroll and will be simulcast in 2023. A brand new exciting trailer had its world premiere, with the heroes Rudy, Sylphy, Roxy and Eris on their next adventure.
Tomo-chan is a girl!
An anime adaptation of the manga Tomo-chan Is a Girl !, written and illustrated by Fumita Yanagida, has been officially announced and will be produced by studio Lay-duce. The series will be simulcast on Crunchyroll from January 2023. Fans got a first look with a brand new key visual along with a teaser trailer that has been signed and dubbed.
Carol Olston’s English and Japanese voice is performed by Sally Amaki. Tomo Aizawa will be voiced by Rie Takahashi in Japanese and Lexi Nieto for the English dub. And Kaito Ishikawa will vote for Junichiro Kubota, and Rina Hidaka will vote for Misuzu Gundo, both for the Japanese voiceover. The main production staff will consist of the following:
- Original work: Fumita Yanagida (Seikaisha COMICS)
- Director: Hitoshi Namba
- Assistant director: Noriko Hashimoto
- Main author: Megumi Shimizu
- Grade designer: Shiori Hiraiwa
- Music: Masaru Yokoyama
- Animation studio: Lay-duce
For your eternity (Season 2)
Announced recently coming to Crunchyroll this anime season in the fall of 2022, a brand new trailer was revealed for the long-awaited second season of For your eternity.
The story of exclusion
A new teaser visual was revealed for the anime adaptation of The story of exclusion. It was accompanied by an original illustration and a special message from the manga’s author, Makoto Hoshino.
- Synopsis: The demon by her side is her salvation. The girl by his side is his pastime. Their encounter in the British Empire at the end of the nineteenth century begins the story of a search for a place to belong. To their other outcasts, this demon and the girl whisper their story in the dark at night.
Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac – Battle for the sanctuary
After recently announcement acquisition, it was shared that Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac – Battle for Sanctuary will premiere on Crunchyroll this summer. The sub- and dub versions of the series will appear on the platform the same day they are released. Dub languages will include English, Latin American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.
In / Specter (season 2)
Fans were treated to the world premiere of the first In / Specter Season 2 trailer.
Season 1 can be binged on Crunchyroll now.
Friday 1. July during the North American premiere of the two new ones My Hero Academia season 5 OVAs, “HLB” and “Laugh! Like You’re in Hell”, which will debut on Crunchyroll on August 1 at 05:00 Pacific Time, and the OVAs (Original Video Animation) will be subbed and dubbed.
On Trigun Stampede Lock and load panel !! Saturday, July 2, the participants were shown first look trailer teasing footage of a young Vash and his twin brother Knives, as well as Rem, trying to send the brothers to safety. Time flies, and we see Vash, grown up to be a wanted man with a bounty of $ 60 billion on his head. A new key image with Vash the Stampede also debuted for the recently announced reboot of the anime series that will be streamed on Crunchyroll in 2023. In addition, the Japanese voice cast was announced, which included Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Vash Stampede, Junya Ikeda as Knives Millions, Tomoyo Kurosawa as Young Vash, Yumiri Hanamori as Young Knives, and Maaya Sakamoto as Rem Saverem. It was also announced that Kenji Muto will direct the series. On-site panelists included Yasuhiro Nightow (author), Kouji Tajima (concept artist), Kiyotaka Waki (producer, Orange), Yoshihiro Watanabe (producer, Orange) and Katsuhiro Takei (producer, Toho).
If you missed all the personal events at the Anime Expo, but still want to take part in the action, Crunchyroll will host daily summaries of all the highlights of its Twitter, Instagram, TikTokand YouTube channel.
Max Weinstein is a writer and editor based in Los Angeles. He is the editor of “Dread Central” and former editor-in-chief of “MovieMaker”. His work has been featured in ‘Cineaste’, ‘Fangoria’, ‘Playboy’, ‘Vice’ and ‘The Week.’